Okinawan Kobudo is the weapon arts of Okinawa.
Our Okinawan Kobudo has been handed down by the late Matayoshi Shinpo Sensei, who was considered the highest authority on Okinawan weapons in the world. Sensei Yoshiyaki Gakiya, Matayoshi Sensei foremost student, founded the OKDR® (Okinawa Kobudo Doushi Rensei-kai®) organization to perpetuate the teachings of Matayoshi Sensei. Sensei Gakiya was forced to retire in 2010 due to illness and passed the responsibility to Sensei Stolsmark, the current head of the OKDR® organization. Teaching from the OKDR® encompasses the use of 14 different weapons as taught by Matayoshi Shinpo Sensei.
Weapons in the OKDR® curriculum are:
• Bo (staff)
• Nunti Bo (bo with a nunti sai attached)
• Eku (oar)
• Kuwa (hoe)
• Sansetsukon (three section staff
• Timbe and Rochin (shield and knife
• Nunti sai
• Shurichin (weighted rope and chain)
• Kruman bo.
Students begin by using the bo then progress through the weapons in the order listed above. Bo, sai, tonfa and nunchaku are required for black belt. The remaining weapons are taught after proficiency is achieved in the first four weapons.
Our curriculum consists of:
• Hojo undo, a break down of strikes and blocks for each weapon
• Kata, forms consisting of a series of moves
• Waza, application of hojo undo and kata against one or more opponents
Students begin by learning hojo undo, progressing to kata after a certain proficiency is achieved and finally by applying the techniques learned against another opponent.
Copyright © 2021 SOUTHMETROKARATE.COM - All Rights Reserved.